Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Polio Vaccine

WRITE your slice. SHARE your link. GIVE some comments to (at least three) other slicers.<br />If you're leaving your comment early in the day, please consider returning this evening or tomorrow to read some of our evening posters' slices.
Having to have my daughter vaccinated for polio is not something I thought I would ever have to think about. Now, I am not thinking about it in a pondering sort of way, as it has been mandated. With the outbreaks of polio in Syria all children, under the age of five, are about to receive mandatory oral polio vaccines in Lebanon.
I don’t know why this is striking me so strongly. Perhaps it is because my hope is that breast cancer will be given as much thought by the next generations as polio has been given by mine, until now.
Medical science is amazing. We have come a long, long way, but we still have so far to go. I am thankful that there is a vaccine (an oral vaccine at that) that will keep my daughter and all of her contemporaries safe from polio.

2 comments:

  1. I know. I wonder if they give polio shots in US? I wish they had a vaccine against all cancers. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That news flash came across my iPhone the other day and it gave me pause.

    BTW: I realized you teach at an international school in Lebanon. My cousin and his fiance just moved to Beirut to teach in an international school to teach there. Maybe you're in the same place. Would you mind emailing me (http://twowritingteachers.wordpress.com/contact-us/) so we can see?

    ReplyDelete