Friday, March 22, 2013

Life Span of my Birks


I took a class in Berlin January of 1993. I am from the NW, where Birkenstocks are common place. I decided that buying my first pair in Germany was very appropriate. I knew what kind I wanted, found a place that sold them, and made my purchase. I remember walking around the cold, snowy streets of Berlin with wool socks and my Birks. I enjoyed breaking them in, having them mold to my feet. In true NW fashion I only wore them with socks.

Years passed and the cork wore out, which I had replaced. Driving a stick wore the rubber off the left heel, so that repaired as well. With a little maintenance my Birks had a good, long life. Living in Saudi Arabia I wear sandals every day. My Birks were my relief for my feet when I was home. 

20 years of use and they were finally thrown out. Why? I went to get them out of the closet and the foot beds were growing mold. That decided it. Thus ended the life span of my first Birks.

5 comments:

  1. I love my Birks...have a pair on now...with wool socks. Only those who have had this experience will understand why you had them repaired...and only after they were growing mold would you throw them out after 20 years. I got my first pair in the 80s and have been hooked since. Jackie http://familytrove.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. The life of a pair of shoes. Great idea. And through their life we get tastes of yours. Lovely.
    http://show--nottell.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I still have a pair hidden somewhere. I did get one pair recorked, too! Now I will have to go on a hunt. My birks remind me of college(many long years ago) and my first pair gifted to me by my Dad. Yours had a long eventful life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a pair in college, worn with socks of course. I also have a pair that are 13 years old, purchased when I was pregnant with my first baby. I still wear them occasionally. Mold is probably a good reason to retire your pair though... haven't had that happen yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved my birks! They were retired right after college when the cork wore out. I didn't know that I could get them recorked! I've missed them and never found another pair of sandals that compared. Your post makes my feet itch for a new pair! Hello? Easter bunny? You will need a shoe box sized basket this year!

    ReplyDelete